Friday, March 21, 2014

Lá Fhéile Eriu

This past Monday was celebrated as Saint Patricks day by a lot of Americans, and Catholics who honor that particular saint. For me however the day is my feast for the Goddess Eriu. In America at the very least, around this time it is more of a celebration of Irish Culture and thus I have felt that it was the right time to honor the goddess of Ireland.

Eriu is the goddess of Ireland. It is her name that the island of Ireland is named after. She met the first humans, the Millesians who ventured to Ireland and met with Donn their leader. Donn sought Eriu and her sisters supporter for his conquest of Ireland. Eriu was the one to give the most support, but when Donn insulted her, he was the first to die. thus why one of the places we can go to when we die is the House of Donn.

In honor of this day, I honor Eriu and the culture of Ireland. It is a day of singing songs and feasting. I honor her by memorizing an Irish song by memory. It can be any folk song, but it has to be an Irish one. This year, I have chosen to sing the Foggy Dew.

Celebrating my ancestors and Irish culture is a big part of this day. I also honor my ancestors. While this is a minor festival, and one I have sort of made up so I recognize that it is UPG. However, it is important to help connect to the culture of Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment