Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Visit to a Hindu temple

This past Sunday, I visited the Hindu Center and Temple of Charlotte. I was required to attend this course for my World Religions class that I am taking. I went there with a friend, who provided the transportation. It was a unique experience and one that I will not forget.

I felt extremely comfortable there. My contact, Mr. Topiwala, at the Center was very knowledgeable. He was able to answer all the questions we had. More over, the religious service was something I felt at home in. While there are differences between my religion and Hinduism, I felt more at home here then I did at any church I have been too. I was allowed to participate in the aarti part of the service. Not knowing Hindi I could not understand the songs and the story being told. But I could feel the energy from the music at least. It felt more joyful to me anyways, and the atmosphere at the temple was much better then I imagined.

After that we had lunch, which was provided to us for free. I am not a vegetarian, though I am trying to eat better in general. So while I knew that I wouldn't care much for the food, as a good host I ate what I could. The food was much more spicer then I expected, but I did try it.

We had a talk about what Hinduism is which was interesting. While I do disagree with some things, ie the monism of it. I do find it an admirable religion. After that he did take us to look at all the Statues of the various deities that they had displayed as well as tell us more about them.

This was an awesome experience for me. I got to participate in another religions rituals and see their ceremony up close. Mr. Topiwala was a gracious host. He even gave us several books for free, including a copy of the Bhagavad-Gita, as well as giving me a statue of Ganesh. All in All it was an experience that I am glad I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment